CABARETE CLASSIC - The Best Windsurfing in the Caribbean
Pablito Guzman’s Cabarete Classic - July 14-July 18 2010
The 2010 Cabarete Classic will take place on Cabarete Beach in front of Vela Resorts in the center of town.
The Cabarete Classic is a four-day long event offering racing and freestyle categories for competitors of all ages and abilities.
- Categories: Mini-Juniors; Juniors; Long Distance Race (windsurfing and kitesurfing); Slalom and Formula in both Sport and Open classes; Women’s Slalom; a Business Class (for local business owners) and a Freestyle competition.
- The Cabarete Classic incorporates Pablito Guzman’s Watersports Team.
- A unique one-day long distance event, beginning in Cabarete and ending in Puerto Plata, designed for top racers from around the world.
A unique long-distance event will also team up with the Cabarete Classic this year. This one-day event from Cabarete to Puerto Plata is geared strictly towards top racers from around the world. While primarily a windsurfing event, top kite surfers are also invited to participate.
While the Cabarete Classic is primarily a windsurfing competition, event festivities will not end at sundown – each night programming will continue with special dinners, concerts, and other gatherings for racers, fans, and their families, as well as for members of the press. For more information about the event, please check out the official event website here (www.cabarete-classic.com).
A Brief History:
The Cabarete Classic was first held in 2006 with the goal of keeping the spirit of windsurfing alive in Cabarete and to introduce a new generation of windsurfers to fellow competitors from around the world. Over the past three years, through reuniting friends and attracting both international and local upcoming and top windsurfers, the Cabarete Classic has attracted over 70 competitors, half of which come from outside the country.
Who is Pablito Guzman?
Pablito Guzman is the force behind the Cabarete Classic, founding the event and bringing it to life. He is a Cabarete native and has competed in contests all over the world for the past twenty years. He has several national titles to his credit and his windsurfing talents have been showcased in several magazine and newspaper articles. Pablito is dedicated to improving the community through helping disadvantaged children to be able to learn and participate in the great sport of windsurfing. Under his direction Pablito Guzman’s Watersports Team was formed last year to offer local students the opportunity to build self-confidence and learn a new sport that is an integral part of the local economy.
Who is eligible to compete?
The event is open to racers of any age, gender, and nationality. There are no qualification prerequisites. If you love to windsurf, we'd love to have you. To register, please see our online registration form.
We will offer 13 different categories of competition:
- Mini-Juniors Girls Slalom (13 and Under)
- Mini-Juniors Basic Slalom (13 and Under)
- Mini-Juniors Pro Kids Slalom (13 and Under)
- Juniors Slalom (14 to 17)
- Mini-Juniors Freestyle (13 and Under)
- Women's Slalom
- Open Class Slalom
- Sport Class Slalom (first time racers, fun racers, beginners)
- Open Class Formula
- Open Class Freestyle
- Long Distance Race (open to windsurfers, kitesurfers and laser class)
- Day 1 will be devoted to registration and event set-up,
- Days 2, 3, and 4 will be racing days with races typically starting at 10:30am and running through to 6:30pm each day.
- Day 5 will be the long distance race.